Welcome to my book blog! Here are some of my favorite books, authors and websites.

Seymour Simon

ages 5- 12+
The nonfiction books in my classroom library were always the first ones to fall apart and need frequent repair. My students never let them sit on the shelf unnoticed for very long, especially the boys. Kids are fascinated by the content and pictures in nonfiction books, and so many nonfiction picture books are forgotten and under-used by parents and teachers. Seymour Simon has had an amazingly long and successful career as a nonfiction children's author. He has written 250 books for kids on a wide range of science topics. Some of his books are illustrated, but my favorites are the photography books. He uses pictures that are large, colorful, descriptive, and breath-takingly beautiful. All of his books are thorough, accurate, and well-written for kids. He writes about everything from animals to the human brain. I would especially recommend these books for a reluctant boy reader. However, be aware that these are not simple books to expect them to read on their own. The vocabulary is sophisticated, and nonfiction books are written in different styles and formats than fiction. These books are a great motivational tool to help their interest in reading stay high. Be sure to read to or with your beginning or reluctant reader so they don't get lost or frustrated. Go check out a stack of these books from the library and enjoy being fascinated along with your kids.

My Favorites From Seymour Simon:
Any topic your child is interested in learning about is a good one to pick up and read!

Check Out His Website:
www.seymourscience.com

1 comment:

Seymour Simon said...

Thanks for the very nice mention of my books. Let me just mention that my website address has changed. It's now www.seymourscience.com.